The purpose of this course is to further develop the instructor skills of the POST instructor who has attended and been certified at IDI Level 2. Upon completion of the Advanced course, the 24-hour Leadership, Mentoring, and Coaching course, the instructor will be certified at IDI Advanced Instructor Development, Level 3.
Level 3 Prerequisites:
- Successful completion of the IDI Level 1 Course, (click here for Level 1).
- Successful completion of the IDI Level 2 Courses (click here for Level 2), including:
- 40-hour Level 2 Core Course
- 16-hour Instructional Technology Course
- Or may opt out with the equivalency essay: Technology Equivalency Essay
Level 3 Consists of:
- 40-hour Advanced Instructor Development Course with a 16-hour Teach Back session (56 hours total)
- 24-hour Leadership, Mentoring, and Coaching Course
Level 3 consists of the 40-hour Phase I and a 16-hour Phase II; a Teach Back session. These sessions provide additional instructor development skills while designing or enhancing a module of instruction they currently teach or are designated to teach. IDI Level 3 Certification is required to begin the Level 4 Master Instructor Certification Course. This Phase I Course will reinforce and provide the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills learned during IDI Level 1 and 2 training. The Phase II Teach Back will provide an opportunity to demonstrate those skills in a practical manner.
Those attending this program will work on an actual module of instruction the instructor/student currently teaches or will teach. They should bring all course material related to the selected module as well as the goal and expanded course outline for the course their module is included within (their module should typically be a portion of a larger course- for example the Emergency Management module (LD 43) that is a portion of the Regular Basic Course).
Many classroom activities require the use of a computer. A personal laptop computer and the ability to access email is required. The classroom will have wireless connectivity. If you only have agency email and cannot access it while in travel status, please establish a free email account prior to attendance (Gmail, Yahoo, etc).
Additionally, this course meets the training requirement for the POST Academy Instructor Certification triennial re-certification training requirement for law enforcement instructors.
Target Audience: Course attendees are limited to personnel currently training for a Law Enforcement agency only. The Regional Training Center verifies eligibility of trainers and reserves the right to refuse entrance.
Topics will include:
- Developing goals, tasks, and learning objectives
- Research methods
- Applying adult learning
- Developing lesson plans – The Course Roadmap
- Application of research methods
- Experienced-based activities
- Facilitation and Presentation Skills
- Alternative training methodologies
- The Course Design Process- Instructional Systems Design
The Leadership, Coaching and Mentoring Course is open to any trainer teaching California law enforcement.
This course satisfies the requirement for certification in the IDI program at Level 3. Additionally, this course meets the training requirement for the POST Academy Instructor Certification triennial re-certification training requirement for law enforcement instructors.
The purpose of this course is to further develop the California law enforcement trainers’ knowledge and skills in Leadership, Mentoring and Coaching with a specific focus on using these skills as a trainer. This training is led by a team of highly experienced trainers who will facilitate this training course with active, hands-on participation with the students. Course work includes learning by doing through practical exercise.
Topics will include:
- Orientation to leadership and leadership principles
- Emotional intelligence
- Leading the generations
- Mentoring of instructors
- Coaching and counseling skills for trainers