This is a technology course created to meet the needs of California law enforcement investigators, regardless of the crimes they are assigned to investigate. This course falls under the POST Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI). A 40-hour course on the use of technology in investigations, this course will provide the student with the skills and knowledge to successfully utilize technology in their investigations. This class is specifically for Investigators and the trainee should have a basic understanding of investigations and technology.
- Wireless Devices
- Legal Issues and Privacy Concerns
- Internet Searches and Resources
- Social Networking Systems
- Electronic Surveillance
- Electronic Evidence Takedown Protocols
- IP and Email Tracing
- Patrol Training
- Search Warrants (Technology Focused)
- High-tech Scenario Practicals
- Cellular Telephone Operation and Tracking
- High-tech Scenario Presentations
- Connected Vehicle Investigations (New Topic)
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. . Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
*All students are required to bring a laptop computer that has wireless internet capabilities.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-26010
Course Certification Hours: 40
Course Fee Information:
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: There is no tuition for POST reimbursable agencies. Travel reimbursement is available via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR).
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $739.69 for FY2324. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST participating agencies.
10/09-13/2023 – San Diego
October 09, 2023 - October 13, 2023
06/03-07/2024 – Orange County
June 03, 2024 - June 07, 2024