This is a technology course specifically created to meet the needs of California law enforcement investigators, regardless of the crimes they are assigned to investigate. This course falls under the POST Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI). A 40-hour course on the use of technology in investigations, this course will provide the student with the skills and knowledge to successfully utilize technology in their investigations.
- Wireless Devices
- Legal Issues and Privacy Concerns
- Internet Searches and Resources
- Social Networking Systems
- Electronic Surveillance
- Electronic Evidence Takedown Protocols
- IP and Email Tracing
- Patrol Training
- Search Warrants (Technology Focused)
- High-tech Scenario Practicals
- Cellular Telephone Operation and Tracking
- High-tech Scenario Presentations
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. . Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
*All student are required to bring a laptop computer that has wireless internet capabilities, Microsoft Word installed and administrator rights or the ability to install software on the computer.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-26010
Course Certification Hours: 40
Course Fee Information:
Effective February 1, 2020 per POST Bulletin No. 2019-40:
Special Note regarding Tuition for ICI Classes: POST has suspended funding to several ICI courses, effective April 1, 2018. GTA/RTC will continue to present this course, but will need to charge a tuition to cover the cost of the course. Effective April 1, 2018, the tuition for this course is $925 per student. You can pay the tuition fee by either sending or bringing a check to class or call this office with a credit card number.
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: Tuition for POST agencies is $925. Travel reimbursement is available via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR).
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $925. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
06/15-19/2020 – San Diego
June 15, 2020 - June 19, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm