This foundation specialty course of Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI) is designed to provide investigators with the information and skills to aid them in a proficient homicide investigation. This course is designed for detectives who investigate homicides and is modeled in adult based learning. Each block of instruction will include hands on activities which require active participation from the class, or small group collaboration. Students/investigators in this class are required to investigate a fictitious homicide which will involve them in collecting/packaging evidence at the crime scene, following up on information provided to them, preparing a search warrant(s) and presenting their case to a panel of legal experts. Students are also required to attend a site visit / tour of a crime lab and coroner’s office; and participate in an outdoor crime scene practical in which they learn methods for determining a potential burial site, how to excavate a body and how to collect insect evidence. At the conclusion of this course the student/investigator will be able to: interpret and apply homicide laws; and successfully prepare for and assist in the prosecution of a homicide case.
- Investigator mindset
- Crime scene and case management
- Role of the forensic criminalist
- Forensic pathology and odontology
- Homicide law and case preparation
- Forensic entomology and anthropology
- Homicide interviews and interrogations
- Child death investigations
- Elder death investigations
- Arson & terrorist investigations
- Officer-involved shootings
- Electronic investigations
- Investigative resources
- Media relations
- Interacting with the victim’s family
- Investigator wellness
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-31921
Course Certification Hours: 80
Course Fee Information:
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: There is no tuition for POST reimbursable agencies. Student travel and per diem reimbursement will be via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR) for POST reimbursable agencies only. Please see POST Bulletin No.2019-23 for the full list of ICI courses removed from the travel suspension list effective August 1, 2019.
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $2,404. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
12/9-20/2019 – San Diego
December 09, 2019 - December 20, 2019
03/9-20/2020 – San Diego
March 09, 2020 - March 20, 2020