This is an ICI Foundation Specialty of POST’s Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI). This 40-hour course will provide investigators with an enhanced understanding of crimes committed against children, including physical abuse, neglect, drug endangered children and sexual exploitation. The course provides instruction in proper investigative techniques, forensics, child abuse law, collection and handling of evidence, suspect interrogation and victim interview techniques.
All ICI courses are based upon adult learning principles. The classroom activities are practical, “hands-on,” and interactive.
This course meets the requirements of PC 13516(c) for investigators/detectives assigned to investigate cases of child sexual abuse and/or exploitation.
- Child Abuse Laws & Legal Update
- Child Abuse Dynamics & Forensic Interviewing
- Child Forensic Medical Exams
- Physical Evidence in Child Abuse Cases
- Investigative Skills and Techniques
- Suspect Dynamics & Interrogation Techniques
- SIDS/SUDS, Abusive Head Trauma
- Physical Abuse, Neglect & Drug Endangered Children
- Investigative Technology & Digital Forensics around Sexual Exploitation & Pornography
- Investigator Resiliency
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-32340
Course Certification Hours: 40
Course Fee Information:
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: There is no tuition for POST reimbursable agencies. Student travel and per diem reimbursement will be via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR) for POST reimbursable agencies only.
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $752.72 There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
03/07-11/2022 – San Diego
March 07, 2022 - March 11, 2022