This is an ICI Foundation Specialty of POST’s Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI). This 40-hour course will provide investigators with the information and skills to successfully investigate the crime of Identity Theft as a specific type of fraud. The course is designed for active, hands-on participation by the students. Course work will include scenarios, the collection of evidence, and computer forensics.
All ICI courses are based upon adult learning principles. The classroom activities are practical, “hands-on,” and interactive.
- Victims and Victimology
- Identifying and Collecting Evidence
- Methods of Commission
- Industry Standards and Regulations
- Legal Update
- The Computer as Evidence
- Filing and Prosecution Concerns
- Community Awareness and Prevention
- Investigative Skills and Techniques
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
* All students are required to bring a laptop computer with a USB capability to class that has wireless Internet capabilities, Microsoft Word and administrator rights or the ability to install software on the computer.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-30611
Course Certification Hours: 40
Course Fee Information:
Effective February 1, 2020 per POST Bulletin No. 2019-40:
Special Note regarding Tuition for ICI Classes: POST has suspended funding to several ICI courses, effective April 1, 2018. GTA/RTC will continue to present this course, but will need to charge a tuition to cover the cost of the course. Effective April 1, 2018, the tuition for this course is $795 per student. You can pay the tuition fee by either sending or bringing a check to class or call this office with a credit card number.
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: Tuition for POST agencies is $795. Travel reimbursement is available via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR).
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $795. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
02/10-14/2020 – San Diego
February 10, 2020 - February 14, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm