This is an ICI Foundation Specialty of POST’s Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigations (ICI). This 40-hour course will provide investigators with the information and skills to successfully investigate the crime of Identity Theft as a specific type of fraud. The course is designed for active, hands-on participation by the students. Course work will include scenarios, the collection of evidence, and computer forensics.
All ICI courses are based upon adult learning principles. The classroom activities are practical, “hands-on,” and interactive.
- Victims and Victimology
- Identifying and Collecting Evidence
- Methods of Commission
- Industry Standards and Regulations
- Legal Update
- The Computer as Evidence
- Filing and Prosecution Concerns
- Community Awareness and Prevention
- Investigative Skills and Techniques
While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following has been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
- Have taken the 2-week ICI Core Course
- POST online Search Warrant Fundamentals course to demonstrate knowledge of search warrant writing. Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. Completion of this online class does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
* All students are required to bring a laptop computer with a USB capability to class that has wireless Internet capabilities, Microsoft Word and administrator rights or the ability to install software on the computer.
If you have any questions or issues about these prerequisites, please contact the GTA/RTC as soon as possible.
Course Certification Number: 9070-30611
Course Certification Hours: 40
Course Fee Information:
Effective July 1, 2020:
POST Reimbursement Plan IV: There is no tuition for POST reimbursable agencies. This is an update as of 7/1/2020 and is in place for the fiscal year 2020-2021. Travel reimbursement is available via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR).
Non-POST Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $700.08 for classes in San Diego and $721.52 for classes held outside of San Diego County. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
10/19-23/2020 – San Diego
October 19, 2020 - October 23, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm