This is the Core Course of POST’s Institute of Criminal Investigation. The Institute is an elective program offering a wide variety of investigative specialty courses, leading to a POST certificate of recognition. This course includes a number of field exercises and/or simulations related to crime scenes, surveillance, interviews and interrogations, etc.
All ICI courses are based upon adult learning principles. The classroom activities are practical, “hands-on,” and interactive. Completion of the ICI Core Course is required if the student wishes to earn a Certificate of Recognition as a graduate of the Institute.
- Identifying and Handling Evidence
- Documentation and Case Preparation
- Managing the Crime Scene
- Case Management
- Working with Victims and Witnesses
- Investigator Attributes
- Sources of Information
- Search and Arrest Warrants
- Working with the Media
- Interview and Interrogation
- Case Preparation to the District Attorney and Court
There are some prerequisites for this ICI Core Course. You must meet all of these in order to attend this course. If you have any questions or issues around these prerequisites, please contact the RTC as soon as possible. While this is not a search warrant writing class, it is recognized that writing a proper search warrant in relation to investigations is essential to your job. With that in mind, the following have been established as a minimum baseline for students attending this course:
1. POST Online Search Warrant Fundamentals course on the POST Learning Portal (must print and bring certificate of completion). Click here to be taken to the POST Learning Portal. Completion of this online course does give 3 hours of CPT credit.
2. All students must bring a laptop computer and USB drive with them to class that has wireless Internet capabilities, Microsoft Word and administrator rights or the ability to install software on the computer.
Please Note: Bring copies of the search warrant form used in your agency.
Course Certification Number: 9070-26000
Course Certification Hours: 80
Course Fee Information:
Reimbursement Plan IV: There is no tuition for POST reimbursable agencies. Student travel and per diem reimbursement will be via Training Reimbursement Request (TRR) for POST reimbursable agencies only. Please see POST Bulletin No.2019-23 for the full list of ICI courses removed from the travel suspension list.
Non-Reimbursable agencies: Tuition is $2,062.40 for courses held in San Diego, and $2,139.20 for all other class locations. There is no reimbursement for travel and per diem.
DISCLAIMER: Priority enrollment for this course is to law enforcement from POST Reimbursable agencies.
COURSE HOURS (Course hours may vary by location, so please refer to individual course student confirmation and travel letter):
Mon 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tues & Thurs 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Wed 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
Fri 7:00 am to 2:00 pm
Mon & Wed 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tues & Thurs 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Fri 7:00 am to 12:00 pm
1/6-17/2020 – San Diego
January 06, 2020 - January 17, 2020
3/9-20/2020 – San Diego
March 09, 2020 - March 20, 2020
4/13-24/2020 – Orange County
April 13, 2020 - April 24, 2020
5/11-22/2020 – Orange County
May 11, 2020 - May 22, 2020
6/8-19/2020 – San Diego
June 08, 2020 - June 19, 2020